Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Observation of a quote from Ontology of the Photographic Image

“The photographic image is the object itself, the object freed from the conditions of time and space that govern it… Those grey or sepia shadows, phantomlike and almost undecipherable, are no longer family portraits but rather the disturbing presence of lives halted at a set moment in their duration…” I found this quote to be very interesting because I found myself thinking does the camera really capture a moment of time? I’ve pondered over the fact that a picture of my vacation was truly an accurate representation of that exact moment. In a way I think this this is true. The camera is like human eye and it captures the moment with the constraint of the frame. However, lately I have been feeling it creates an artificial memory. Our memory of that moment transforms into a simple two-dimensional image. When I look at a photo of myself at a certain location I am seeing a perspective I never saw in real life. Sometimes the camera down plays the real beauty of that time in its distortion and limitations. So much is not captured in a camera and I find that by not documenting every part of my life creates more detailed memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment