Tuesday, January 20, 2015

W1 R1 - Stan Brakhage and James Broughton

Stan Brakhage, in his article titled, "Metaphors on Vision," alludes to the infant eye as being the gateway to the "loss of innocence." That one line speaks to me because I find it to be true to reality. When we are infants, if any can remember, we only interpret basic shapes and colors; which as Mr. Brakhage goes on to say that the same interpretation of reality is on the mirror-side of life near death. Being that this is the process of which the eye takes during development and degradation, Mr. Brakhage explains that in the interim all we have to imagine such a world of interpretation is to use knowledge. Not only to use knowledge, but to use the "Ultimate of Knowledge," he claims, which to him is the study of film. Through film, one can experience the entirety of reality and travel to places only seen in dreams. Filmmakers can explore areas of their own psyche that were previously locked away during maturation away from infancy, and portray that knowledge to the audience.


Stan Brakhage goes on to claim that our society is driven by fear; whether that be primal fears, or fears we impose upon ourselves. For example, one may fear their own extinction however also fears to take the plunge into immortalizing themselves through family. He makes a claim that we as a society fear many things and artists can relieve that fear through film. They can "create a new language," which can translate those fears into pleasurable feelings. Overall I agree with Brakhage for as an artist myself, I see it in my soul to bring my imagination to life through photography and other mediums. I can relate heavily to what his main arguments were on a personal level.


The James Broughton article, however in my opinion, was utter bullshit. He loosely attributes inspiration and imagination to being connected to divine intervention from God. I say that it is indicative of religious propaganda. I'm not expressing this feeling because of some ulterior motive, because I am personally very spiritual. I feel, however, that Broughton is crippling his readers into not thinking for themselves. Also, the claim that audiences have no valid opinions, is bullshit. That segment just read to me as the author being pretentious and an art-snob. I say that you do not need an art degree to have an opinion on art. Everyone can experience art.

No comments:

Post a Comment